Ganavan Bay to Dunstaffnage Castle.

Start. Ganavan car park.

Route. Ganavan - Ganavan Hill - Camas Rubha na Liathaig - Dunstaffnage Castle - Camas Rubha na Liathaig - Ganavan Hill - Ganavan.

Notes. From the sandy beaches of Ganavan Bay this walk followed the shore north ascending several small hills before reaching Camas Rubha na Liathaig a delightful half moon bay, then on to the ruins of Dunstaffnage Castle one of Scotland's oldest.

We left the car at the large car park at Ganavan to follow a good path north, after fording a small burn our route took us under the cliffs of Bealach Buidhe to be greeted by a dead end, up a cleft in the cliffs on our right was an obvious path, we followed it to access the main path, across the summits of Ganavan Hill and Aonadh Beag to eventually reach Camas Rubha na Liathaig, a perfect sandwich stop, across the field to enter the drive of Dunstaffnage Castle, after visiting the castle we retraced our steps, avoiding the steep descent from Ganavan Hill by following an obvious path over Bealach Buidhe followed by an easy descent back to the car park.

view route map.


Ganavan Bay, behind the rocks a large sandy beach and even bigger car park.

Views back down our ascent route backed by the waters of the Firth of Lorn and a rather unsightly fish farm.

Spectacular views over Oban Bay.

Views over Dunstaffnage Bay to the Connel Bridge spanning the entrance to Loch Etive, the Falls of Lora lay just under the bridge, the only tidal falls in the British Isles.

The hills may be small but the views were massive, Dunstaffnage Bay.

Views over Camas Rubha na Liathuig to Chapel Hill, in the trees Dunstaffnage Castle.

The island of Lismore seen over the tranquil waters of Camas Rubha na Liathuig.

Dunstaffnage Bay.

Dunstaffnage Castle one of Scotland's oldest.

A much later addition to the original building, the Gate House remodeled many times.

An impressive well.

Remains of the chapel.

The Chapel tucked away in the trees an extraordinary legacy from the 13th century.

Dunstaffnage Castle built around 1275 by the MacDougall Lord of Lorn held since 1470 by the Clan Campbell.

Ascending Cnoc Bhoist saying goodbye to Camas Rubha na Liathaig.

Striding over pebble beaches once washed by the sea, now 40ft above high water.

Striding over Bealach Buidhe with outstanding views to Oban Bay.

back to top

back to list